Heartburn and gas formation is directly related to acidity problem. It is caused due to gastro esophageal reflux. In simple words, when acidic gastric juice moves from the stomach into lower esophagus, result is acidity or heartburn. In this condition gastric juices (Hydrochloric Acid) enters in the esophagus and makes to dysfunction.
Acidity results in uncomfortable burning in chest, pain, discomfort and even nausea. People suffering from acidity will find themselves unable to enjoy the food they love. It is a debilitating disease that affects one in seven adults everyday. Some preventions and remedies can solve this painful and uncomfortable problem.
Excessive smoking can cause acidity. Smoking reduces the production of saliva and it eats up most of the bicarbonates in saliva. Bicarbonates help to neutralize gastric acids while saliva coats the esophagus to prevent damage from acid. Nicotine increases the production of acid in stomach. Smoking also increases the movement of bile salts in stomach from intestines. Gastric acid is more harmful with bile salts.
Alcohol affects both stomach and esophageal tract. There is a valve that keeps acid to escape from stomach. After drinking alcohol this valve gets relaxed as a result of this acid escapes from stomach and enters the food pipe and irritates the digestive system. Alcohol also increases the production of acid and causes inflammation in stomach’s inner lining.
Being on an empty stomach for a long time or skipping breakfast also plays an important role in increasing acidity. Stomach produces acid every second we breathe. When we eat food, it dilutes the acid. Acid gets mixed up with food and gets diluted. However, when someone skips the meal or skips the breakfast, the gastric acid becomes more and more concentrated. When this acid reacts in the stomach, it flares-up in the upper stomach causing acidity and heartburn.
Above mentioned habits are very harmful. When someone is suffering from acidity and heartburn symptoms, he must not drink alcohol or must not smoke. Try to eat meals in every four hours and should not skip the breakfast. After long eight hours of sleep, breakfast is the first Acidaburn important food of the day. Still we face acidity and heartburn everyday. So there are few remedies that can prevent acidity.
1. Take some cumin seeds and boil them in a glass of water for five minutes. After this brew is cooled down, supplement it with meals.
2. Instead of drinking tea and coffee, prefer to drink herbal tea containing spearmint and liquorice.
3. Drink lukewarm water early in the morning and after every meal. Water neutralizes acids and when water is lukewarm, it will not only neutralize the acid but also it will help in digestion.
4. There are some times when we need a quick relief from acidity. In such conditions, have a bowl of yoghurt. Yoghurt must not be sour in taste. Take fresh yoghurt. It is one of the most effective and fast relieving remedy.
5. Drinking a glass of cabbage juice everyday will reduce the formation of acid in stomach.